CNZ New Zealand Open Championship
Held by Canterbury Croquet Association
From Saturday 20th to Saturday 27th Jan 2024 at 8:30am
Tier 1 Event
Ph: 027 292 5229 Email: email@example.com
|United Croquet Club, North Hagley Park, Riccarton Ave, Christchurch
|Allocation Date: Thursday 23rd November 2023
Entries close Thursday 28th December 2023
Entries may be limited due to the number of lawns available. When this occurs, entries received prior to the allocation date will be accepted with priority being given to the highest ranked players registered. Entries will be accepted in order of receipt between allocation date and entries closing for any available places.
Register online at www.croquet.org.nz
|Event 1: $125 includes entry to events 1(a) & (1b).
Event 2: $45 per player
|Any clubhouse fee, up to $5 per day, will be charged to all competing players only for the days present.
- New Zealand Open Championship: Open to all. Play will commence with seeded Block play. The number of players qualifying for the Open Singles Knockout will depend on the number of entries. Each match will be played as best-of-three games, except that the manager may choose to play best-of-five matches from the quarter finals onwards. Challenge Cup presented by J.W. Lill and the Rene Watkins Gold Medal to be held for one year. 2022–2023 Winner – Logan McCorkindale
Runner-up will receive the John Prince Trophy presented by A.D.J. Heenan, OBE. 2022–2023 – Paddy Chapman
1(a) Bronze Medal: For players eliminated from the knockout before the Quarter finals.
2022–2023 Winner – Harps Tahurangi
1(b) Heenan Plate: All players entered in event 1 who do not qualify for the Open Singles Knockout are eligible to enter the Heenan Plate. Trophy presented by A.D.J. Heenan, OBE. 2022–2023 Winner – John Christie
- New Zealand Championship Doubles: Open to all. Play will commence with seeded blocks. Those qualifying from the blocks will proceed into post-section play. Shields presented by Messrs E.G. Rawnsley and N.H. MacFarlane.
2022–2023 Winners – Paddy Chapman & Greg Bryant
2(a) Doubles Plate: Open to pairs in event 2 that have not qualified for the main doubles knockout. Single-game knockout format. Entry is optional.
2022–2023 Winners – Nelson Morrow & John Christie
- All players with a New Zealand handicap of 0 or higher will be automatically considered for the Charles Jones Memorial Encouragement Salver. The Salver will be awarded to the player with the best record in the handicap range as determined by the Tournament Management Committee. Trophy presented by Alison McMillan. 2022–2023 Winner – Carey Johnstone
- Paddy Chapman Peeling Trophy. Points to be awarded for TP’s and above achieved during singles play. A new trophy introduced in the 2023-24 season.
- Advanced Play.
- Hoops will be set to the widest axis of any ball to be used on the lawn plus 1/32” with an upwards tolerance of zero and a downward tolerance of 1/64th of an inch
- As many entries will be accepted as possible with entries limited only if the number of players per available lawn is exceeded.
- The Doubles will be played on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The Singles will commence on Tuesday.
- Information on the playing schedule and other issues will be posted on Croquet Scores after entries have closed. The Manager will provide players with an outline of the method after entries close.
- Players Choice method of seeding will be used to seed the singles knockout so long as there are at least 16 players in the knockout.
- Quadway hoops will be used.