Due to the flow-on effects of Covid-19 and the cancellation of regional qualifying competitions this year, the NZ Secondary School Golf Croquet Championship scheduled for 5-6 September in Hawkes Bay has been cancelled.
Croquet New Zealand is pleased to announce that a regional program of Inter-School Teams competitions will be hosted in Auckland / Counties-Manukau, Manawatu and Canterbury regions, Sunday to Tuesday 27-29 September (first week of the Term 3 break).
Free coaching sessions for ‘new to croquet’ players will be held at all three venues on Sunday 27th September, prior to the commencement of competitions.
The format for this year’s regional events will include:
– Year 9-13 School Teams of 4 players, non-gender specific
– Composite teams are permitted only if schools do not have enough players to enter a team on their own.
– Inter-School competition will include a match consisting of two doubles games and four singles games against opposing teams.
– An open draw and/or block play formats will be used to provide a full tournament of play for competitors.
– Free pre-tournament coaching sessions at all three venues.
– A Level 2 Assessment Rubric for NCEA Unit 91330 is available for PE Teachers who wish to prepare students in advance.
– 2 x CNZ Start-up Scholarships and the potential of selections for the CNZ Youth Development Squad will be offered across all three venues.
Details including venue confirmations and entry procedures will be distributed during the week ending Friday, 3 July 2020.
Croquet New Zealand believes that this year’s format provides safer, more accessible pathways for students to reconnect with school and community sport activities through these challenging times.